What's Age Got to Do With It? Birthing Complications For Older Mothers

My fortieth anniversary started with a bang. I felt a little uncomfortable in recent days and my gynecologist told me to take a pregnancy test just to rule. But what I discovered was exactly the opposite of what we did not expect. I had never thought about being a mother older or become pregnant at 40. Although he had tied the knot with the politically correct age, 25, neither my husband nor I were inclined mother. I was more than satisfied with my share of family life with my husband, a successful career and travel the world. The pregnancy was not planned, but since God had other plans for us, we decided to go ahead.
My husband and I had a series of discussions that led to the arrival of our bundle of joy. However, the fundamental point of disagreement was the kind of birth we wanted. While my husband was very keen to normal vaginal delivery, she wanted the option of an epidural for caesarean section.
During our visits to the gynecologist put me fully aware of the risks that could potentially happen during childbirth.
Topping the list was the induction of labor in older women is widely used as an intervention to reduce the risk of late fetal death. A recent survey showed that 37% of obstetricians offered induction of labor at term for women 40-44 and 55% in those over 45 years old.
Set the level of anxiety that will push my gynecologist to go ahead with a C-section depending on the maturity of my age is difficult. One of the major concerns that still weighs and influences the decision prevents any damage to the newborn. And I've heard that emergency caesarean section has a major risk factor for mother and baby. I read somewhere that, "Until we learn why older mothers with low-risk pregnancies have a disproportionately high rate of cesarean delivery, the utmost caution is needed to assess mothers older candidates for the procedure," said Duane Alexander , MD, director of the NICHD, NIH Institute that conducted the study. "Although older mothers share certain risk factors in common, each woman is a unique individual and the benefits and risks of Caesarean delivery should be evaluated for potential your particular case."
Item 40, hard work and reduced efficiency of the movement of the uterine muscles could very well lead to complications during childbirth. Greater likelihood that the baby is in an awkward position at birth, especially because I am over 40 years and this is my first baby at an increased risk of fetal distress during labor; are some of the reasons why cesarean delivery might be an option for me.
Although I'm a little worried about me gynecologist has always tried to build a positive atmosphere. I know that the possibility of a risk, but I also know that I am still a very good chance of a birth experience as well as young mothers with no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment